Cities Service Station- This station, located in Afton, Oklahoma was added to the registry in 1995. It is located at the Jct of First Street & Central Avenue. It was built in 1933 with an architectural style of Mission/Spanish Revival. 1925 to 1949 was the stations period of significance. It is privately owned. Its function was considered that of commerce and trade. It is currently vacant and not in use.
Coleman Theatre- The theatre is located at 103 North Main Street in Miami, Oklahoma and was added to the registry in 1983. George L. Coleman Sr. had this gorgeous facility built in 1929 for the price of $600,000. This opulent structure was designed by the Boller Brothers of Kansas City, Missouri. The exterior architecture is Spanish Mission Revival. Terra cotta gargoyles and other hand-carved figures adorn the building’s façade. The interior includes gold leaf trim, silk damask panels, stained glass panels, carved mahogany staircases and decorative plaster moldings and railings. The carpet is a replica of the original and carries in its weave the Coleman family crest. Its function is listed as commerce, trade, recreation, and culture. Thousands of visitors pass through the doors of the theatre each year to view its beauty. The site was donated by the Coleman family to the city in 1989.
George L. Coleman Sr. House- This mansion is located at 1001 Rockdale Street in Miami, Oklahoma. It was added to the registry in 1983. The style of the home is Mid 19th Century Revival. It was built in 1918. Mr. Coleman lived in this home for 27 years until his death in 1945. The home reflects the wealth of this businessman in its Georgian Revival architect, one of the best large scale examples of its time in Northeast Oklahoma. It is privately owned and occupied. The home is not open to the public.
Miami Downtown Historic District- The downtown district was added to the registry in 2009. The district is located on Historic Route 66 and has many functions which include shopping, dining, banking, businesses, attractions, etc.
Horse Creek Bridge- This bridge is owned by the state and located at the Jct of Route 66 and Horse Cr. in Afton, Oklahoma. It was added to the registry in 1995.
Commerce Building/Hancock Building- This facility is also known as the St. James Hotel. It was added to the registry in 1983. It is located at 103 E. Central in Miami,Oklahoma and remains privately owned. It has recently undergone extensive renovations and continues to operate as an apartment complex with a handful of business offices on the first floor and café.
John Patrick McNaughton Barn-The McNaughton Barn was a waystation for travelers through Ottawa County in the late 1800s and was added to the registry in 1991. The barn, built by John Patrick McNaughton, included a post office for the town of Max, which lasted from 1891–1894. A room in the second floor is believed to have housed the first flush toilet in the state. The main floor contained enough stalls to stable 80 horses and had a capacity for storing 14,000 bales of hay. McNaughton obtained the first deed issued in what is now Ottawa County. The barn also housed a jail, stagecoach terminal and trading post. Today, the barn is privately owned and is located north of Highway 10. It is used as an animal facility and for storage. Its period of significance is listed as 1875–1899.
Miami Marathon Oil Company Service Station- Built in 1929, this facility was added to the registry in 1995. Its significance is listed for commerce and architecture. The station is privately owned today and currently houses a beauty salon. The Miami Station is thought to be the oldest Marathon Oil Structure still standing today. Renovations to the building are ongoing.
Narcissa D-X Gas Station- This station constitutes themain building in the once thriving village of Narcissa, located south of Miami in Ottawa County on Route 66. It was part of a complex that included the Gaines Brothers Elevator. The building was used until the 1990s. Today, it stands vacant and is not in use. It remains an important part of the history for the community of Narcissa. In 2003, it was added to the national registry. The building is currently vacant and not in use.
Miami Original Nine Foot Section of Route 66 Roadbed- This popular stretch of road predates Route 66. It was built in the early 1920s and 66 was designated in 1926. This stretch zigzags for 13 miles between Miami and Afton. Although in need of preservation, this original stretch is in fairly good shape for its age. Its location lies from the junction of E Street S.W. and 140th Street to US 66. Nostalgia seekers come from various countries outside the U.S. to experience this one of a kind piece of history. The road was added to the registry in 1995.
Modoc Mission Church and Cemetery- Both locations were placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in February 1980. This is the last remaining site commemorating the 153 Modoc men, women and children exiled as prisoners of war to the Quapaw Agency, Indian Territory in November 1873. Many of the leading participants in California’s famous Modoc War are associated with the church and are buried in the cemetery adjoining the church. The cemetery is the final resting place for Scarfaced Charley, Curly Headed Doctor, Shacknasty Jim and Sloluck to name a few. The first marked grave is that of Rosie Jack, Captain Jack’s daughter. The marker is inscribed “Rosie Jack, d. April 1874.”
Ottawa County Courthouse- This structure, located at 102 East Central in Miami, was added to the registry in 2004. Its period of significance was from 1950–1974. The style of the building is listed as modern. A new courthouse was constructed in 2009 and the old courthouse no longer stands. The ground of the courthouse is also home to many historic monuments.
Peoria Indian School & Peoria Tribal Cemetery- The Peoria Indian School Building and the Peoria Cemetery are the only remaining historic resources of the Confederated Peoria Tribe left in the U.S. The Peoria Cemetery, established as a burial ground in 1871 for Confederated Peoria tribal leaders, is the only documented cemetery in the United States set aside for such a purpose. The Cemetery is a short distance northeast of the Peoria School. The School served as the only educational facility for the Confederated Peoria from 1872 to 1893, an era which followed their removal from Kansas to the northeastern part of Indian Territory. Both sites were added to the registry in 1983.
Riviera Courts–Motel- Built in 1937, the motel was a tourist court located at a point where it could capitalize on the growing Route 66 traffic and the business provided lodging for travelers along U.S. Highway 66. In 1956 the Riviera Courts was listed in the Miami city directory and in the telephone directory the following year. In the late 1950s it appears to have changed its name to Holiday Motel, a fairly common pattern hoping to take advantage of the advertising and popularity of the new Holiday Inn chain of motels. Although the hotel closed around 1978, in subsequent years it was used occasionally as a temporary lodging facility, but is now vacant. The remains of this building, located one mile west of Main Street on US 69A, continues to stand. It was added to the registry in 2004.
Tri-State Zinc and Lead Ore Producers Association Office- This facility is also known as the Picher Mining Field Museum. It is located at 508 N. Connell Avenue in Picher, Oklahoma. It was added to the registry in 2003. The building still stands today, but the memorabilia from this facility that recognizes the years of mining history for the Ottawa County area, recently has been moved to a similar museum in Baxter Springs, Kansas. The town of Picher is currently part of a government buyout and the facility has been closed to the public. Although it remains on the registry, visitors are encouraged to travel a few miles northeast to Kansas and view the history for themselves.
Dobson Home (1916)- The Dobson Family Home located at 106 A S. W. is a Craftsman style, two story, red brick home which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011. Solomon and Lucy Dobson moved to Miami from Kentucky in 1894 but built this home in 1916 and lived there with their three children, Wayman, Solomon and Nellie. Upon Miss Nellie’s death in 1968, she generously left the furnished home in trust for the use of the Ottawa County Historical Society and the Miami Garden Club. Restoration is on-going but visitors are welcome by appointment. Contact the Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau to schedule your group.